Sunday, September 30, 2007

Birthdays, cabinets, fences and walking in circles

Wow, where to start. Two weeks ago I celebrated my 50th birthday. It was on a Saturday so the whole day was free to do whatever I wanted. Strangely enough, I told Sara that I wanted to try mowing the lawn on my own. It's truly a bizaar thing to want to do on your 50th birthday. For some strange reason, I thought if I could do that I would prove that I was better and not an old lady. At that point, I had only done little bits, but, the week before had made a big difference in my stamina, pain, etc. I DID IT! Managed to mow the entire yard while Sara caulked the fence.

The other thing I really wanted to do was go to the antique mall. That was exciting, we found a new cabinet for the bathroom, a spool to make another lamp for the living room, AND best of all and most unexpected, a hoosier cabinet for the kitchen. It is the sweetest thing, white with cool red bakelite pulls. We brought the cabinet for the bathroom home with us and I managed to help carry it to the basement. The finish is good, but, we want to polyurethane it before putting it in the bathroom.



After dinner out and birthday cake, I was pretty tired from all this. Still have that bedtime at 10:30! On Sunday, had lunch with Sara and Cheryl.





As far as the fibroids, I'm still taking Advil for some pain, but, the time between is more and more and sometimes I only take it in the morning. I found that avoiding the bedtime Advil has played into stopping the night sweats. HMMMMM, could the two really be related. Still have some discharge, but, nothing serious. Just wondering....how long will that last?

The past two weeks, I had to spend some time in Madison for various meetings. That included my first independent road trip. That went OK. Last week I had to stay overnight. On Tuesday night we had grilled steaks for dinner. If my anemia isn't getting better, it didn't hurt to have that 1" medium rare (well more rare than medium) steak. Couldn't eat the whole thing, but, it was good. Avoided the alcohol that was flowing pretty freely at the dinner (no one was driving). The beds at the ol' Baymont sure aren't like mine, not getting good sleep made a big difference in how I felt relative to everything. Wednesday afternoon, doing the rounds of the Rotunda at the Capitol was pretty tiring. Walking on the marble floor for 4 hours wasn't the best. I was taking some breathers, still tough walking that much. It was good to get home that night.

Last weekend Sara and I finished staining the fence! Yeah! At least I helped with the last part. There was the full harvest moon last week and it just glowed in the dark. Now we get to move on to other projects. Yeah! It's good to be feeling better.



Since then, it's been work. Yesterday, went to a breakfast meeting with Sara and then up to the yarn shop in Appleton. My first visit since my UFE. I celebrated by buying some sock yarn that I really don't need and a sweater book. Did yard work in the afternoon and cleaned. Knit in the evening, it was great---haven't done that other than Knit Night in awhile.

I figured out the other day that had I had a hysterectomy, I would just be thinking about starting back to work. I wouldn't be talking about bringing home cabinets, painting fences, and cutting the grass. Sitting around for 2 1/2 weeks was tough enough. Guess I'm just not ready to not do anything.



Coming up----we're planning a party!

No comments: